Table of Content:
- What is a recruitment personality test?
- What kind of questions are on a personality test?
- Which personality test is most used for hiring decisions?
- How can I prepare for a recruitment personality test?
A recruitment personality test is used by employers to help them predict how candidates will perform in a particular role. The most common type is the personality test, which measures your strengths and weaknesses and matches them to the job specification.
But what is a recruitment personality test? Why do recruiters use them and what different types of tests exist? How can you prepare for a recruitment personality test to succeed in your application?
What is a recruitment personality test?
Personality tests are used by employers to determine an applicant’s suitability for a job vacancy. They can help employers to select the right candidate for the job. Indeed, a personality test can provide a large amount of information about the person’s character and personality.
If you are applying for example for a job that involves a lot of responsibility, a valid personality test can help the employer get to know if you can handle the job. It also helps the recruiter to know if your profile will also fit into the company’s culture.
All of these tests can give the employer useful information about you and your character.
The more information an employer has about you, the easier it will be for her/him to make a decision on whether or not to offer you the job.
What kind of questions are on a personality test?
A personality test is often seen as a set of questions where a person has to choose between two or more options that describe his personality and behaviour. Based on the results, employers can decide if the candidate will fit into the corporate culture and if she/he will be effective in his role.
Key areas of assessment for personality tests include:
- Teamwork: Will you be able to work with others in the team?
- Leadership skills: Can you take on a leadership role?
- Decision making skills: Can you make good decisions?
- Optimism: Are you overly or unduly pessimistic or optimistic?
- Confidence: Are you confident enough to handle difficult situations?
- Communication skills: Do you communicate effectively?
- Emotional stability: Are you calm and collected?
- Managing Conflict: Can you handle conflicts well?
- Integrity: Are you honest?
- Adaptability: Can you adjust to new situations easily or do you need time to adjust?
- Stress tolerance: Do you accept stress easily or does it affect you adversely?
There are many tools and techniques available to employers to carry out personality tests. This can include self-assessment questionnaires and interviews.
Which personality test is most used for hiring decisions?
There are various personality tests that employers use to discover if an applicant is suitability for a role or not. Some of the most common ones are:
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), inspired by Carl Jung psychology concept.
It defines 16 types of personalities based on 4 dichotomies:
- Are you an extrovert or an introvert?
- Do you use more your senses or your intuition?
- Are you taking your decisions following your feelings or your logical thinking?
- Do you see the outside world according to your judgement or how you perceive it?
The Strong Interest Inventory (SII)
It tests your attitudes, interests, and personality characteristics. It aims to find out which career path would be the best for you.
The Strong Interest Inventory tool is based on the theory of Viktor Frankl that all people have a need to find meaning in their work. Viktor Frankl said “We can discover our unique meaning” through understanding our personality and using strengths to pursue the best work.
How can I prepare for a recruitment personality test?
You have many ways to prepare for a recruitment personality test. In comparison to reasoning questionnaires where you test your reflection skills, you don’t need to prepare anything for a personality test. Simply be honest and yourself.
Before the test
- Train online. You can find many free online personality tests. It will help you discovering what type of questions you will get and, also you will be able to better manage your time.
- Try to know what the test is supposed to measure to get better prepared.
- The test can last up to 3 hours, be sure that you plan enough time.
- Make sure you rested well. If you’re feeling tired, you might make mistakes on the test.
- Check your internet connection and be sure that your computer will be charged and working.
During the test
- Try to relax! Don’t stress out before the personality test. Make sure you are in a good mood and keep calm. You don’t want to answer test questions in a rush, because it’s very likely that you will make mistakes.
- Don’t lose time hesitating between 2 questions. Choose the one that fits you the best.
- Stay concentrated. Test often have many questions.
- Don’t forget that everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and this is ok. What is important is to know how to handle them. Find a way to show positiveness in your weaknesses.
- Simply be true and honest.
How can we help you?
If you need more information on how to prepare for a recruitment personality test, you can contact us. Our recruiters are specialist in application processes and can advise you on how to get prepared for interviews and personality tests.