What is a People Operations Manager, and what are the required skills and studies to become one?
A People Operations Manager oversees and coordinates the HR processes of an organisation.
This can include developing HR strategies, managing employee relations, overseeing payroll and benefits administration, and ensuring employment laws and regulations compliance.
What are the different job titles?
- HR Operations Manager
- Director of People Operations
- Human Resources Manager
What is the role of a People Operations Manager?
An HR Operations Manager is typically responsible for managing the overall operations of an organisation’s human resources function, which includes managing employee relations, compensation and benefits, performance management, and training and development.
In addition to these traditional HR functions, a People Operations Manager may also focus on developing and implementing strategic initiatives related to employee engagement, organisational culture, and talent development.
They may also be responsible for creating and enforcing policies and procedures related to human resources management.
What are the main tasks of a People Operations Manager?
The main tasks that you could find in a job description are the following:
- Develop and implement HR strategies
- Manage employee relations and resolve conflicts
- Oversee payroll and benefits administration
- Ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations
- Develop and implement HR policies and procedures
- Provide guidance and support to employees and management
- Manage HR budgets and resources
- Analyse HR metrics and report on results
What are the skills required for a People Operations Manager?
- Recruitment software and platforms
- Data analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations
- Project management
- Team management
- Relationship building
- Organisational skills
- Time management
What salary does a People Operations Manager earn?
The salary might differ depending on your city, country, and organisation size.
The gross salaries per year are around:
- 0 – 5 years: EUR 50,000 – 80,000 + bonus
- > 5 years: EUR > 80,000 + bonus
What are the qualifications required?
To become an HR Operations Manager, you will generally need to meet the following qualifications:
- You can do a degree or diploma in human resources management, business administration, or a related field. Relevant experience in HR management can also be required.
- Gain experience: Some employers may prefer to hire People Operations Managers with previous experience in HR management.
- Develop strong communication and leadership skills: As a People Operations Manager, you will need to communicate effectively with employees, management, and other stakeholders. Strong leadership skills are also important for managing a team of HR professionals.
- Be organised and detail-oriented: The People Operations Manager manages multiple HR processes at once and needs to keep track of multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Basic computer skills: You must be proficient with computers and various software programs, such as HR information systems and data analytics tools, to effectively manage HR processes.