What is an HR Business Partner and what are the required skills and studies to become one?
An HR Business Partner is a strategic HR professional who works closely with business leaders and line managers to support organisational goals. This involves providing HR guidance, developing HR strategies, and managing HR programs that align with the needs of the business.
What are the different job titles?
- HR Business Partner
- People Business Partner
- HRBP (HR Business Partner)
What is the role of an HR Business Partner?
An HR Business Partner is responsible for building strong relationships with business leaders and line managers to understand the business strategy, identify HR needs, and develop and implement HR programs and initiatives that support the achievement of organisational goals.
They also provide HR guidance and expertise to managers and employees, manage employee relations issues, and ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
What are the main tasks?
The main tasks that you could find in a job description are the following:
- Build strong relationships with business leaders and line managers
- Understand the business strategy and identify HR needs
- Develop and implement HR programs and initiatives that support the achievement of organisational goals
- Provide HR guidance and expertise to managers and employees
- Manage employee relations issues and provide coaching and counselling to managers and employees
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations
- Develop and deliver HR training programs
- Analyse HR metrics and provide insights to business leaders
- Support organisational change management initiatives
What are the required skills?
- Relationship building
- Business acumen
- Strategic thinking
- Coaching and counselling
- Influence and negotiation
What salary does an HR Business Partner earn?
Depending on which city or country you are living in and the size of the hotel, the salary might differ.
The gross salaries per year are around:
- 0 – 5 years: EUR 45,000 – 70,000 + bonus
- > 5 years: EUR > 80,000 + bonus
What are the qualifications to become an HR Business Partner?
To become an HR Business Partner, you will generally need to meet the following qualifications:
- A degree or diploma in human resources management, business administration, or a related field. Relevant experience in HR or business can also be required.
- Gain experience: Some employers may prefer to hire HR Business Partners with previous experiences in HR or business.
- Develop strong communication and relationship-building skills: As an HR Business Partner, you will need to communicate effectively with business leaders, line managers, and employees. Strong relationship-building skills are also important for building trust and credibility with stakeholders.
- Be organised and detail-oriented: The HR Business Partner manages multiple projects and initiatives at once and needs to keep track of multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Basic computer skills: You must be proficient with computers and various software programs, such as HRIS and data analytics tools, to effectively manage HR programs and initiatives.